Derived from a Paraguayan shrub, Stevia Rebaudiana, Stevia is an all-natural sweetener that, unlike sugar, doesn’t affect blood sugar levels, and has a zero calorific content. Because it’s natural, stevia doesn’t pollute the bloodstream – a major reason to steer clear of artificial sweeteners.
Stevia is also far sweeter than table sugar, meaning you need to use less of it to achieve the same taste effect, and it’s this effect that cuts the craving for sugary foods. And when that craving is cut, then your calorie intake falls and that aids your bodybuilding efforts.
Here are some key points about stevia. More detail and supporting information is in the main article.
- Stevia is a plant naturally grown in Brazil and Paraguay.
- Stevia is much sweeter than sugar - the extract can taste 250-300 times sweeter than table sugar.
- The extract is contained in a number of food items in the US such as energy bars, candies, protein drinks and some teas.
- Since stevia is so much sweeter than sugar, recipes require less of it.
- Stevia does not brown and caramelize the same way sugar does.
- Stevia is calorie-free, but that does not necessarily mean you will lose weight if you swap sugar for stevia.
- The stevia leaves contain potassium, zinc, magnesium and vitamin B3.
- Based on the stevia nutrition facts, it is the 10.77% fiber which helps in curing constipation and promotes proper digestion.
- One of the benefits of stevia is that it contains a 702 ppm level of iron which can stimulate the production of hemoglobin.
- Stevia and other artificial sweeteners that have been approved for use and do not appear to pose any health risks when used in moderation.
Total Science Nutrition uses Stevia is many of our product's to provide a more natural alternative to body building supplements! We have engineered advanced formulas to ensure that taste and flavour is not compromised.
Bodybuilding Proteins that contain Stevia:
- ISO SLIM
- 100% WHEY
- HYDRO PURE PEPTIDE
- MASS 4.0
- EXTREME MASS